The Planning Department is responsible for regulating and managing the physical growth and development of the Town, with an emphasis on economic vitality, community character, environmental integrity, sound land use, and legal compliance. The Planning Department is located in Room GS202 of the Clayton Center, 111 E. Second Street.
For development applications and other information, please scroll to the bottom of this page.
The Planning Department facilitates short and long term land use planning, zoning code enforcement for building and development activities, and downtown economic development within the Town Limits and its Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ). The specific duties of the Planning Department include:
- Review of proposed residential and non-residential development plans and sites to ensure compliance with Town ordinances, policies, character, and development patterns.
- Plan for the physical needs of the community including creation of, plans, policies and programs to ensure orderly growth.
- Enhance community safety and appearance through the enforcement of the Unified Development Code within the Town's jurisdiction.
- Administer development related codes and ordinances such as zoning, subdivision, and minimum housing.
- Perform research and prepare reports related to community development priorities for use by decision-makers in evaluation of individual projects or proposals.
- Coordinate local planning efforts with local, regional and state-wide agencies.
- Serve as administrative and technical support for the Town Council and advisory groups such as the Planning Board and Board of Adjustment.
- Encourage new and expanded investment in the Town of Clayton, with a focus on redevelopment and adaptive reuse of Downtown properties.
- Support town activities relating to mapping and geographic data utilitizing geographic information systems (GIS).
Planning Department staff can be reached by phone at 919-553-1545 and by e-mail. The directory with e-mail contact information is as follows:
David DeYoung, AICP, Planning Director
Emily Beddingfield, AICP, Planner
Beth Franson, GIS Analyst
Dede Bumgarner, Zoning Administration Officer
Bruce Naegelen, Downtown Development Coordinator
Submittal and Meeting Calendar
Accessory Structure Guide Sheet
Setback Guidance for Principal & Accessory Structures
Important Reference Links-
Plans and Ordinances
Official Zoning Map
Official Overlay Zoning Map
Town Limits & ETJ Boundary Map
Owner's Consent Form
Conditional Use Application
Main Street Banner Permit Applicaton
Major Site Plan Application
Minor Site Plan Application
Road Name Approval Application
Sign Permit Application
Special Use Application
Temporary Sign Permit Application
Temporary Use / Special Event Permit Application
Zoning Compliance Permit Application